Our History

The Church of the Holy Trinity is the oldest Episcopal Church in the city of Lincoln. Originally we were established in 1869 as the first Episcopal Church in the new capital city of the new state of Nebraska. The church was formerly located at 12th and J Streets on what is now the Lincoln Mall midway between the State Capital and the County-City Building. In January of 1957, a disastrous fire totally destroyed the beautiful red sandstone house of worship.

The Cross Still Stands

In the midst of the ruins, the cross at the altar still stood tall. It inspired our congregation to rebuild and share it's hope with others. After much prayer, research, and no small amount of debate, it was decided to relocate the church. On June 29, 1958, ground was broken at our current location on

A Street. It was on the far eastern edge of the city. 

On Sunday, November 16, 1958, we celebrated the laying of the cornerstone for the new church building. Appropriately, the original cornerstone of Holy Trinity at 12th and J Streets was included with that of the new building in East Lincoln. This was done as a physical expression of the spiritual unity between the former and present eras in the history of our church community.

Church of the Holy Trinity is a member of the Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska, which in turn is part of the Episcopal Church in the USA (ECUSA). The Episcopal Church is part of the worldwide Anglican Church. The Anglican Communion is an outgrowth of the Church of England.

A better future

We are a church founded more than 150 years ago. We've seen much challenge and growth. Yet today we are poised for an even more exciting future, as we share God's grace and love with the world beyond our doors.